Tuesday, August 9, 2011

N is for Nectarines

Now that it is a good four days since my last post and promise I am pleased to bring you something new.

Nice to be back readers and non-readers alike. I know that there are some of you that are skipping over these words as I speak and notice nothing but the pictures that I post. No worries. There are some blogs that I look at only for the photos. Nobody judges you.

I realized a little too late that there are a limited number of 'N' ingredients, that I was stuck scrambling for a flavor to feature. When I struggle, have a few things that I do. First I brainstorm. If that doesn't work I call my family. We chat it out and usually that solves that, but if that doesn't work I go back to basics. I hop in the car and walk around the grocery store.



I've been wanting to do a dessert since the last dessert I left you with was maybe not the best. Even after my brainstorming and my family phone calls, I navigated to the store for a little N-spiration. I found these nectarines and another N-gredient that you will just have to wait for.

N case you were wondering, nectarines are similar to a peach, but not fussy and the fruit is firmer than a peach. I like to think of it as half way between a peach and an plum. A nectarine is not in the orange family, as my N-laws seem to think. (Love you all.)

Nectarine and Blueberry Crisps 

For filling:  
  • 2 nectarines, pitted and sliced
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
  • 3T sugar
  • 3T all purpose flour
  • 2T Amaretto liqueur*
  • 1t light brown sugar
For topping:
  • 1/4 cup Nilla wafers, crushed
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup toasted oats
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 4T butter, finely cubed

Combine all of the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix until a thin paste covers the fruit. Split the mixture into four ramekins.


Combine the topping ingredients, except the butter. Mix them together well. Add in the butter with your hands until you make large clumps of Nilla oatey goodness. Crumble the topping on all the ramekins** and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.



*If you don't have, or just don't want to use Amaretto, substitute with a little agave nectar or honey.

** At this point you can cover and refrigerate until you are ready to bake. This makes it ease if you are N-tertaining  for guests because you can make it ahead. You're welcome.
 N-joy!

The Next dessert is on it's way. I am excited about working with it because it is something that I have never had before. 

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment