Thursday, May 19, 2011

H is also for Hens and Honey

Hello again.
While I get dinner ready, how about I share what I have been doing besides cooking for the blog.
The Mrs and I worked a wedding. I did the food for lunch, and the Mrs coordinated. Pictured here is me getting one of the canopies ready. It is a feta stuffed black olive on top of a sun dried tomato and a whole wheat crostini. A big thank you to Bob, my pops who's birthday is this week, for stuffing all of the olives

It was such a beautiful ceremony and really fun reception. I thought that my food went over well, and the bride and her mother loved the Mrs. They wanted to adopt her.

The next week, we went to the beach.
Sorry I'm not sorry.
Best grilled cheeses (grilled cheesi?) that I have had in a long time. It was too short of a vacation!

Now that you are jealous and Hate me, dinner is ready.
Have some with me?

Herb Roasted Cornish Hens

  • 2 Cornish Hens
  • 2 bundles of thyme
  • 3 lemons, sliced in wedges
  • 3 cloves of garlic, halved
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 6 red potatoes, halved
  • 6T melted butter
  • 2T olive oil
  • 1 1/2T dried basil
  • 1T salt
  • 2T black pepper
Wash and pat hens dry. Stuff the birds with garlic cloves, lemon wedges, thyme bundles, and onions.

Depending on the flavors that you like, you can add more or less of one of these ingredients, for example the Mrs likes the flavor of onions more where as I like lemons. Hence her hen had more onions and mine more lemons.

Next melt the butter and combine with olive oil and basil. Massage the hen with the butter mixture. Your hands will get dirty, but remember you can wash your hands after.


Wash. Your. Hands.In a large roasting pan, place the remaining lemons, onions and all of the potatoes. Sprinkle over 1t of salt and 1T of black pepper. Place the hens on top of the veggies breast side down, and sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper (1t salt and 1 1/2t black pepper per bird)
Place in the oven at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, basting the hens every 25 minutes.


To accompany my birds, and for a hint of green, I roasted hasparagus spears. The h is silent.

Also to accompany the meal I made these.


Honey Buttermilk Biscuits

  • 1 1/2 cups of self rising flour
  • 1/4 cup of shortening
  • 1/2 cup of buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup of honey
Cut the shortening into the flour. Stir in the buttermilk, and then stir in the honey. On a floured surface roll out the dough 1/2" thick and cut out biscuits. Bake until golden brown in a 350 degree oven (~12-15 minutes)



Honestly, after this meal we were too full for dessert. The Honey Buttermilk biscuits had just the hint of sweetness that was able to finish as a final course to dinner.

Therefore dessert was postponed, thus you must come back to see what the alphaBITE came up with for dessert.

I will give you a hint: It is Heavenly!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment